Thursday, July 09, 2015

Cherry Picking

We were invited by Ms. Dawn, our next door neighbor, to help her harvest all the beautiful cherries from her cherry tree. The boys couldn't wait! Unfortunately for Brody, he was on a plane to Texas the day she decided to harvest, so he missed out, but I don't think he minded one bit. :) While Emme took a nap, Leyton and Callan and I got to work.

kate and caroline stopped by for a visit and helped pick the cherries for awhile
Ms. Dawn has this really cool contraption that removes the pits pretty quickly. You feed the cherries through, press the button, and voila! L & C took turns while Ms. Dawn and I checked them over for any pits that weren't removed. Then we filled gallon bags and prepared them for freezing. We are so excited to try out these cherries and see what delicious creation we can make with them. And I love that the boys learned about harvesting and preparing food to eat.


Brad thought it was funny (and probably a little cheesy) when I told him how I had always wanted to have a yard with a cherry tree. They have beautiful flowers in spring, bright red berries in summer, and colorful leaves in the fall. Although this cherry tree is not technically in our yard, it is right outside my kitchen window and makes me really happy. Just another reason why I am happy to be here.

No comments: