Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pin-tastic Summer Week 1

If you regularly read my blog, you know that I have been super excited about starting the Pin-tastic summer activities posted by Erin over at Christian Mama's Guide. We started the first week of activities, called Mad Scientist Week, on Monday.  So far, everything has been a hit! The kids have had a blast completing each project.  Here is my take on each of them:

Fizzy Color Art
This project was SO much fun! It was super easy and kept them busy for awhile. Of course, the Smith Boys always have to take things to the next level, so after they painted with the vinegar solution they decided to dump the rest in and make a really fun bubbling mess! Then, they seriously went into sensory overdrive and just HAD to put their hands in the stuff. Suddenly we had colored baking soda everywhere! Thankfully, we did this project outside on the deck, and with all the rain we are having these days, the mess is long gone!




Fairy Jars
This was the activity I was most excited about, but I think it was the most disappointing. Maybe we just didn't follow directions. There were quite a few distractions while this project was going on, including a toddler who kept escaping out the back door and running thru the wet yard! Brody was the only one who really did what it said to do, and his turned out the best. I just expected them all to glow a bit more. I think we overdid the glow stick solution. Oh well!

brody's fairy jar. it actually looks better in this picture than it did in real life, if that' s possible!


Mixed-Up Monster Goo
Fun, but a complete mess! I have made play dough concoctions on the stove before, and it is not my favorite thing to do, so I was not excited to see that I had to cook this stuff, too. Of course, I completely burned the first batch and we had to start over. Once we got past that hump, the rest was easy and fun!


I have always loved glitter. I think it stems back from my days in second grade when our teacher glittered literally EVERY project we completed. We'd color the giant pilgrim cutout, then head back to the glitter table to get doused. As a kid, I loved it, but now as a mom, I am SO glad my kids don't bring home endless glittered projects. Oh, the mess!


Anyway, my kids loved every second of this, from adding the drops of food coloring to dumping loads of glitter on top and mixing it in. I am certain I will be cleaning up pink and teal glitter off the floors for the next month, but it was a super fun project and one that we can play with again and again!

Shake It Up Sorbet
An absolute blast! Who knew making your own frozen, fruity treat could take 15 minutes or less?! Brody and Leyton absolutely loved this project and have already asked if we can do it again sometime soon. My answer--YES!
even daddy got in on the fun, shaking up callan's sorbet while he napped

YUMMY!

No comments: